Sunday, March 29, 2009

Third Grade Humility

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4 (NIV)

When I was going into the 3rd grade back in 1980, my mother and father decided to put me into a new school. It was a preparatory school for girls and I had to interview and be "invited" to attend there. It was a great honor, even then, for I knew that it was a financial burden to my family and an opportunity that would change my future. Since we lived outside of town in a suburb, the school bus did not run in my neighborhood. Therefore my mom had to take me to school each day and pick me up. Everyday we would talk about something, or I would read to her from one of my books, or we would learn a new vocabulary word and how to spell it. But the car trip of the first school day stands out in my mind like it was yesterday. She was driving along and she said "now there are going to be girls here from very rich families. We do not have houses or cars like theirs, and their dads may be doctors or lawyers, but remember that they are no better than you." And she followed it up with "and if you ever get the idea that you are better than anyone else, I will take you out of this school." That was my first lesson in true humility. Do not ever...and I mean ever...consider yourself better than someone else. (The other lesson was do not let anyone beat down your self-esteem, but that is another blog entry.) My mother has given many wise lessons in life, but this one is truly Biblical. For Paul says the same thing in Philippians 2. I think sometimes Christians can have a tendency toward self-righteousness if they do not guard themselves against it. We can think "I am saved" and "I do not commit those terrible sins" when in reality our judgement of others is equally as sinful as those who are in the world. Psalm 25:9 says "He guides the humble in what is right and he teaches them his way." So let us remember that the Lord is the only one who is to be lifted up. We came from the most humble of beginnings for we were created from the dust of the earth. Our goals should be to glorify God through all that we say and do, and draw others into his saving grace and pray for them rather than judging them for misguided actions.

1 comment:

  1. It is so easy to slip into pride. I can find myself doing so without even immediately realizing it. God forbid! You are so right in saying that we must stay humble to be blessed by God. May He receive all the praise and all the glory for what He does in our lives. Thank you for your wise, inspirational words. God bless.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete