Monday, May 4, 2009

Be Thankful for His Many Gifts

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 107:1 (NIV)

Would you receive a wonderful gift from someone and not say "thank you"? In these days of constant obligation and expectation, I have sometimes given gifts that were not received with gratitude. In my human nature, I decided that if one was not thankful for my thoughtfulness, then they would not receive any other gifts in the future. For nothing is more discouraging that to thoughtfully select, prepare, and give a gift that is not appreciated or acknowledged. The same is true for actions. Imagine a spouse who works diligently for years to care for and honor their mate, only to never be appreciated. How discouraging the thanklessness of others can be.

Aren't we glad that God is faithful to continue to love us in our thanklessness? He feeds us with the Bread of Life, satisfies us with Living Water, and clothes us in righteousness. Yet we forget to thank Him and praise Him and we fall away from His ways. Psalm 107 speaks of God's amazing righteousness and forgiveness, "Some sat in darkness and the deepest gloom, prisoners suffering in iron chains, for they had rebelled against the words of God and despised the counsel of the Most High. So He subjected them to bitter labor; they stumbled, and there was no one to help. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He saved them from their distress." (10-13) Aren't we glad that God doesn't think like us! " 'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord." (Isaiah 55:8) For if God did not continue to give us gifts even during periods when we do not appreciate them, we would be eternally filled with gloom and despair, never again to receive a blessing.

So let us not forget to be grateful to God today and every day for His amazing gifts! He sent Jesus to save us from eternal damnation if we believe, He fills us with the Holy Spirit to guide our ways, and he makes our path straight because of our oppressors. (Psalm 27:11)

I humbly thank you Father for all the gifts that you have bestowed upon me. I praise your name for all that you are and all you have done for me! Thank you for Jesus and for my salvation. I pray that You guide me in paths of righteousness for Your Name's sake so that I may have a crown to cast at Jesus's feet when I get to heaven. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ramona,

    What joy to share the love of Jesus Christ with others!

    I am visiting from Andrea's blog and your name caught my eye ;)

    Your words are truly encouraging...may Our Lord continue to bless you and your family. May He continue to be your light and shower you with many gifts.

    blessings,

    Lady M

    ReplyDelete