Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Back to Basics

"And I saw that all labor and all achievement spring from man's envy of his neighbor. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind." Ecclesiastes 4:4 (NIV)

There have been a lot of commercials lately about "getting back to basic." We even pray for it in our church services. In our tough economy, seems people are having to give up some of the creature comforts that they once considered "necessities" and the businesses are taking a hit. They are all now trying to convince us that they are a "basic" need and there is no reason to give up whatever service they are providing whether it is expensive blended coffee or an extended warranty on your car.

So what is really our basic need? Jesus said "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?" (Matthew 6:25) Seems that our "right" to a certain lifestyle is ultimately limited to our life in Jesus Christ. Each of us is entitled to trust Him and become heirs with Him in the Kingdom of God. Isaiah predicts "in that day the Lord will snatch away their finery..." (3:18) All the valuable things of this world are worthless compared to finery that we will don when we are clothed in the glory and majesty of God. The gold and priceless stones we covet on this earth are used to pave the streets in Heaven. Would you collect asphalt from the roadway to wear around your neck?

So I began to look around at what the Bible says about getting back to basics. Not much, really. The word "basic" lead me to the word "foundation" which lead to the word "building." I Corinthians 3 says "by the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ." (10-11) That lead me to the conclusion that getting "back to basics" meant getting "back to Jesus." For He is our rock and our cornerstone. If we build our lives upon Christ, all of the important things are achieved and the worldly possessions and necessities don't really seem that important any more. Suddenly what the Jones have is nothing compared to the treasures that are waiting for us in our Heavenly mansion.

3 comments:

  1. Such wise words in which we should find comfort! Why do we feel the need to fill our lives with things? I have many things, which are not really valuable, but I find too much attachment to them. A sort of sentimentality.

    But this void in our lives is to be filled, and all we really need for it is Jesus! And perhaps through the difficulties in this economy, God is speaking to us about our basic need for Him.

    Thank you for this wonderful post. I am always inspired when I leave your blog.

    In Christ's Love,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen the foundation is his Word, I think we are always in "Basics" and if we would just realize how much we need him.... Greattttt great post, veryyy thought provoking thank you!
    Have a Blessed day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this. Looking outside my window I see the grandeur that is from God and I am in awe. That Heaven could be so much better leaves me speechless. What a wonderful Father we have.

    ReplyDelete